Graci Kim is a New York Times Bestselling author of the Gifted Clans series. In 2012, she was interviewed for Talking Taiwan about her cooking show called Graci in the Kitchen. We’ve invited her back to give us an update on what she’s up to do these days.
She’s been a New Zealand diplomat, once ran a business that turned children’s drawings into cuddly toys, and given a TED Talk in 2018 that still resonates today.
She spoke with us about her Korean roots, how she decided to become a writer, what it was like when her book, The Last Fallen Star hit the New York Times Bestseller list, and her writing process.
This episode of Talking Taiwan has been sponsored by NATWA, the North America Taiwanese Women’s Association.
NATWA was founded in 1988, and its mission is:
- to evoke a sense of self-esteem and enhance women’s dignity,
- to oppose gender discrimination and promote gender equality,
- to fully develop women’s potential and encourage their participation in public affairs,
- to contribute to the advancement of human rights and democratic development in Taiwan,
- to reach out and work with women’s organizations worldwide to promote peace for all.
To learn more about NATWA visit their website: www.natwa.com
Talking Taiwan has a donor who is willing to make a $5,000 matching donation!
Help us double what we raise to $10,000 by MAKING A CONTRIBUTION to Talking Taiwan at:
PayPal using: email@example.com
Zelle using: firstname.lastname@example.org
Checks or money orders made payable to Talking Taiwan can be sent to:
PO Box 1049
New York, NY 10113
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this podcast episode:
- What happened to Graci’s cooking show, Graci in the Kitchen
- Graci’s TED Talk in 2018 and how what she talked about in the talk still resonates today
- Korea’s occupation by Japan and how that impacted Graci’s family
- Graci’s Korean roots
- Graci’s Gifted Clans trilogy and the inspiration behind it
- The connection between the Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series and Graci’s Gifted Clans trilogy
- Graci’s writing process and routine
- How Graci had a career as a diplomat and decided to try being a writer
- Writers who have influenced Graci
- What it was like when Graci’s book Last Fallen Star hit the New York Times Best Seller List
- Graci’s advice for first time writers
- Graci’s sources of inspiration and ideas for her writing
Graci Kim’s website: https://www.gracikim.com/
Graci Kim on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gracikimwrites/
Graci Kin on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gracikim
Graci’s TED Talk: The Hidden Power Behind Our Names: https://www.ted.com/talks/graci_kim_cribbens_the_hidden_power_behind_our_names
Gifted Clans Series: https://books.disney.com/series/the-gifted-clans-series/
Rick Riordan: https://rickriordan.com/
Rick Riordan Presents imprint: https://rickriordan.com/rick-riordan-presents/
Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series: https://rickriordan.com/series/percy-jackson-and-the-olympians/
Elizabeth Knox: https://elizabethknox.com/
Sherryl Jordan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherryl_Jordan
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman: https://www.philip-pullman.com/hdm
Labryinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova: https://zoraidacordova.com/books/labyrinth-lost/
Last Fallen Star by Graci Kim: https://www.gracikim.com/the-last-fallen-star