SPARK Accel is a personalized 4-week virtual accelerator for Taiwanese American entrepreneurs. At the end of the program there will be a virtual pitch competition and a chance for participants to win up to $15,000. SPARK Accel is an initiative under the Taiwanese American Citizens League (TACL). TACL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of Taiwanese Americans.
Stacey Pai, one of the founding team members of SPARK Accel, spoke with me about how SPARK Accel supports entrepreneurs, and what stage of entrepreneurs are eligible to participate in its accelerator program. As SPARK Accel grows, it is looking to recruit a volunteer program manager, fundraising manager, community manager, marketing manager, and startup mentors. This is a great opportunity for budding Taiwanese entrepreneurs.
This episode of Talking Taiwan has been sponsored by NATWA, the North America Taiwanese Women’s Association.
NATWA was founded in 1988, and its mission is:
- to evoke a sense of self-esteem and enhance women’s dignity,
- to oppose gender discrimination and promote gender equality,
- to fully develop women’s potential and encourage their participation in public affairs,
- to contribute to the advancement of human rights and democratic development in Taiwan,
- to reach out and work with women’s organizations worldwide to promote peace for all.
To learn more about NATWA visit their website: www.natwa.com
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this podcast episode:
- What is Spark Accel?
- What stage of entrepreneur Spark Accel serves
- When Spark Accel launched
- The first cohort in the summer of 2021 had 6 startup participants and 10 ppl on the leadership team, and over 30 mentors
- Spark Accel plans to launch 2 cohorts in 2023, one in April/May, and the other in Sep/Oct.
- How to apply and qualify for the Spark Accelerator program
- What will happen during the 4-week program and what participants will learn
- Spark Accel’s in-person mixers San Francisco, New York, Boston, and Taipei
- Future locations that will host Spark Accel in-person mixers
- How Spark Accel is run by volunteers and supported by fundraising and donations
- How many participants there are in each accelerator cohort
- At the end of the 4-week program there will be a pitch contest in order to win a cash prize of up to $15,000
- The “audience component” at the end of the program, which involves a video recording of pitches that will be shared online and via social media, and friends and family will be invited to vote
- The startups and mentors associated with Spark Accel
- Spark Accel is looking for volunteer mentors
- Spark Accel is recruiting for a volunteer program manager, fundraising manager, community manager, and marketing manager
Spark Accel: https://www.sparkaccel.com/
Spark Accel on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sparkaccel
Spark Accel on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sparkaccelerator
Spark Accel on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/sparkaccel/
Rent the Runway: https://www.renttherunway.com/
Tutor ABC: https://www.tutorabc.com/site/en_us
Patrick Lee, founder of Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rottendoubt/
Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/
Kevin Lin, co-founder of Twitch: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinlin3/
Kevin Wong, founder of Lunar Hard Seltzer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinhwong/
Lunar Hard Seltzer: https://www.drinklunar.com/
Anya Cheng, founder of Taelor: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anyacheng/