A note from Talking Taiwan host Felicia Lin:
Sergeant Steven Lee is a 16-year veteran of the NYPD. He’s a whistleblower fighting to reform police corruption and he shared his story with me.
This is part one of my interview with Steve. In part two, next week, you’ll hear what happened to him after his undercover work and the related court case, how he’s dealt with the pressure, his thoughts on how to combat corruption within the NYPD, why he ran for State Assembly in 2020 and his plans to run again next year.
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this podcast episode:
- What Steve was doing before becoming a police officer
- How Steve became a police officer
- Scandals involving police officers writing fake summons
- What led Steve to go undercover
- The police corruption that Steve saw when he was undercover
- What happened during the two years that Steve was undercover
Ostracized NYPD whistleblower runs for state office in Queens: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-steven-lee-ron-kim-assembly-20200211-mp26mhghpnen5altiqxahree3m-story.html
Crime+Punishment (the award-winning Hulu original documentary): https://youtu.be/C6lB9HQnSac
NYPD 109th Precinct: https://www1.nyc.