A note from Talking Taiwan host Felicia Lin:
In this episode of Talking Taiwan, we share the second half of my interview with illustrator and cartoonist Guy Gilchrist, picking up after part one in episode 207. In the second half of my interview with Guy, he talked about how Dr. Seuss has been an influence in his life. Guy also talked about how he had to deal with chronic pain and back surgery.
These days Guy can be seen on social media and at Comicons around the country doing what he loves most drawing cartoon character live for his fans. Guy is best known as the cartoonist of Jim Henson and The Muppets. He’s also had his hand in notable cartoons such as The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Tiny Toons, Pink Panther, and Disney, among others. He was declared a national treasure by former First Lady, Nancy Reagan and his artwork has been enshrined in the Smithsonian.
Since one thing we can’t do on this podcast is to show the magic of Guy’s cartooning, we decided to host a LIVE online event where you can meet Guy this Saturday, November 5th at 6:30pm EST.
At the event you’ll have a chance to see him drawing live. Guy will also show you how to draw cartoon characters yourself. The best part of all this is that Guy has generously offered to donate all of the drawings he does that night and you can enter to win them by simply making a donation of $25 or more to Talking Taiwan’s GoFundMe page: http://gofundme.com/building-talking-taiwans-legacy
If you’d like to attend the event just Register at: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0qcuippj0oGNFuyKrRnUTpoPMCFSBcWEqP#/registration
This episode of Talking Taiwan has been sponsored by NATWA, the North America Taiwanese Women’s Association.
NATWA was founded in 1988, and its mission is:
- to evoke a sense of self-esteem and enhance women’s dignity,
- to oppose gender discrimination and promote gender equality,
- to fully develop women’s potential and encourage their participation in public affairs,
- to contribute to the advancement of human rights and democratic development in Taiwan,
- to reach out and work with women’s organizations worldwide to promote peace for all.
To learn more about NATWA visit their website: www.natwa.com
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this podcast episode:
- How hearing Dr. Seuss speak when Guy was in grade school left a lasting impression on him
- How Guy went from being a bad student to realizing that he could actually do something with his talents
- How Guy wrote to Dr. Seuss when he was struggling to get a children’s book published
- Guy’s encouragement not to give up on your dreams especially if you are in the arts
- How Guy’s children’s book about the character Mudpie had been rejected by a dozen publishers
- The story of how Dr. Seuss’ first book I Saw It On Mulberry Street got published
- Guy’s Mudpie character and the book series he’s created about Mudpie
- How Guy has dealt with arm and back issues, and chronic pain
- How Guy first had back surgery at the age of 29 and has gotten cortisone shots to deal with pain for years
- How Guy started having trouble walking about six years ago
- Guy’s recovery from the back surgery he had about six years ago after his muscles atrophied from not being active for a year
- How Guy now deals with pain
- Guy’s advice to love ourselves and take care of ourselves first
- Guy’s music and songwriting
Guy Gilchrist’s website: https://www.aguygilchristproduction.com/
Guy Gilchrist’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AGUYGILCHRISTPRODUCTION
Guy Gilchrist on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/guyfgilchrist/
Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Seuss
Guy’s Mudpie book series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/275626-mudpie
Walter Lantz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Lantz
Jim Henson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Henson
The Muppets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muppets
Guy Gilchrist Cartoonist for The Muppets Talks About How to Achieve Your Dreams (Episode 207): https://talkingtaiwan.com/guy-gilchrist-cartoonist-for-the-muppets-talks-about-how-to-achieve-your-dreams-ep-207/