A note from Talking Taiwan host Felicia Lin:
This lost episode of Talking Taiwan features blogger Michael Turton. At the time Michael had written over 5000 blog posts for his blog The View From Taiwan. Michael began writing his blog in 2005 and I remember how popular Michael’s blog was. That’s how I learned about him when I was living in Taiwan, back in the days before social media.
Michael has been a guest twice on Talking Taiwan. in episode 119 he spoke with me about China’s ban on Taiwan’s pineapples. And in episode 138 he spoke about his love of biking in Taiwan. That episode earned Talking Taiwan a Golden Crane Podcast Award. Be sure to give those episodes a listen to learn more about Michael.
For the month of June we’ll be slowing things down by sharing lost episodes every other week, and in July we’ll be taking a break from the lost episodes. We’ve got a lot of great new content planned and we just can’t fit it all into our weekly publication schedule.
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this podcast episode:
- Michael’s blog the View From Taiwan
- How Michael has written over 5000 blog posts
- How long it takes him to write a blog post on average
- What keeps him going with his blog writing
- How his blog posts are fact based and he’s been quoted by journalists
- How being based in Taichung, gives him a different perspective than those living in Taipei
- Michael’s love of biking in Taiwan
- The most active English language bloggers in Taiwan
Michael Turton’s blog A View From Taiwan: https://michaelturton.blogspot.com/
Drew’s blog Taiwan in Cycles: http://taiwanincycles.blogspot.com/
Ben Goren’s blog Letters From Taiwan: https://lettersfromtaiwan.tw/
My Kafkaesque life blog: http://my-kafkaesque-life.blogspot.com/
Taipei Times Columnist Michael Turton Talks About the Taiwan Pineapple Ban by China (Episode 119): https://talkingtaiwan.com/taipei-times-columnist-michael-turton-talks-about-the-taiwan-pineapple-ban-by-china-ep-119/
Biking in Taiwan with Blogger Michael Turton (Episode 138): https://talkingtaiwan.com/biking-in-taiwan-with-blogger-michael-turton/