A note from Talking Taiwan host Felicia Lin:
When I invited Andrew Watson onto Talking Taiwan to talk about the fourth annual Hello Taiwan Concert, I was pleasantly surprised by how our conversation touched on the 1990s music scene in Taiwan. Andrew was living in Taiwan at the time when he formed his band Feiwu (廢物樂隊), which will be performing at Hello Taiwan. Feiwu is the hard-rocking band who wrote and performed the classic “我愛台灣啤酒” (“I Love Taiwan Beer”) and other original songs at Spring Scream and various venues around the island from 1997 to 2001. The band is well known as one of the core bands that pioneered the Taiwan independent music scene of the ’90’s along with Mayday (五月天), Cthonic (閃靈), 1976, The Chairman (董事長), and Quarterback (四分衛).
This year, organizers of the Hello Taiwan Concert will be raising funds for Typhoon Haiyan victims in the Philippines. Last year they raised $10,000 for the Breezy Point firemen who were themselves victims of Hurricane Sandy, when their houses were burned down in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Many of the Breezy Point firemen, were the first responders at the 9/11 terrorist attack.
The bands that will be performing at Hello Taiwan include: Feiwu (廢物樂隊), Bikini Carwash, Torpid May, and The Underground Channel.
There will be a special guest performance by Filipino American rapper, producer and performer, IZZY.
Hello Taiwan will be hosted by Ben Hedges. journalist, producer and TV host. He now hosts New Tang Dynasty Television’s show “Lao Wai Kan Zhongguo” 郝毅博是《老外看中國》的主持人.
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this episode:
- The bands that will be featured at the fourth annual Hello Taiwan Concert
- Andrew’s band Feiwu (廢物樂隊) and Code of Resistance
- What’s going to be happening at the Hello Taiwan Concert
- How the Hello Taiwan Concert is a mix of a Taiwan-style night market with live music performances
- What brought Andrew to Taiwan
- Will Feiwu record a third album?
- The 1990s music scene in Taiwan
- How Andrew would compare the music scenes in Taipei and New York
- Andrew’s Flushing restaurant recommendations
- Filipino rapper Izzy will be among those performing at Hello Taiwan
- How Ben Hedges the host of Lao Wai Kan Zhongguo (老外看中國) on New Tang Dynasty Television will be hosting Hello Taiwan
The Hello Taiwan website: http://www.hellotaiwan.us/
Feiwu’s (廢物樂隊) Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/FeiwuBand
Feiwu’s (廢物樂隊) website: www.hsiung.net/feiwu
Code of Resistance’s Facebook page: www/Facebook.com/CodeofResistance
Ben Hedge’s You Tube Channel “Lao Wai Kan Zhongguo” 郝毅博是《老外看中國》的主持人: http://www.youtube.com/laowaikanzhongguo